In 1896, the Devon Horse Show started as a one-day show. Now, years later, it has become the oldest and largest outdoor multi-breed competition in the United States. It is internationally recognized, USEF-A rated, and one of the most exciting events to happen in our area. While it draws top competitors from around the world, the show continues to reflect the local traditions and lifestyles of the Philadelphia Main Line.
- In 2010 Devon became just the fourth American horse show to be honored with the designation as a USEF Heritage Competition. This award is reserved for those competitions that have been in existence for more than a quarter century, promoted and grown the equestrian sport, and made a contribution to the community outside the gates of the horse show by achieving, maintaining and promoting the equestrian ideals of sportsmanship and competition.
- Devon has also been recognized many times by the National Show Hunter Hall of Fame as the Horse Show of the Year. Devon has captured this national title over fifty percent of the time since it has been given. It was also awarded Hunter Derby of the Year for 2011.
- Devon has been awarded one of the top 25 horse shows by the North American Riders Group, moving up to second place in 2012.
- In 2012, it received the Best of the Main Line and Western Suburbs Award for the BEST FAMILY EVENT.
- It also received the 2012 USHJA Members Choice Award rewarding excellence at USEF-licensed hunter/jumper competitions relating to the competition, the facility where it took place, footing, competition personnel and hospitality.